- This event has passed.
Ot Azoy 2017
Sunday 6th August 2017 - Friday 11th August 2017£150.00 – £250.00
Notice for joining students: Sunday 6th is a welcome day and registration day for all students!
Venue: The courses take place at SOAS, Russell Square, Thornhaugh Street, WC1H 0XG (NOT VERNON SQ)
Registration: Yiddish level 1 (beginners ONLY): 10.30 – 11.00. Rm 273 (in class) Followed by Aleph Beys class until 12.
All other levels will be registered by interview between 1030-12noon.
Monday 7th, you will need to be in class for 0930am.
Discover JMI’s famous full immersion courses in Yiddish Language, Song and Culture for people of all ages, levels and backgrounds, where even complete beginners learn to speak, read, write, sing and even dream in Yiddish in a week.
Ot Azoy Yiddish language classes are held at 5 levels, and is directed by the head of Yiddish at UCL, Dr Khayele Beer with a faculty of world class Yiddish tutors and experts. As well as hands-on classroom teaching, it also features an extensive cultural programme of music, theatre, poetry and lectures from a world of Yiddish past and present. Shura Lipovsky, the outstanding Director of The Golden Peacock (Goldene Pave), will also teach a daily session of Yiddish through song.
Here are a few reasons why this promises to be a week not to be missed this summer…
- This is the only opportunity in the UK to immerse yourself in the deep and inspiring world of Yiddish culture for a whole week through language, literature, song and film with interesting and like-minded people of all ages and from all backgrounds.
- You will have the privilege of working with some of the UK and Europe’s top educators and performers. No matter what your level in Yiddish whether a beginner or a budding linguist, professional singer or amateur enthusiast, you will benefit from the width and breath of programmes on offer through the week, both day and night.
- The language and song schools run parallel during the week. Sessions for the week include reading, writing and speaking Yiddish, song master classes, concerts, film and discussion of the Yiddish scene in London and beyond.
- The programme is based at SOAS, the heart of Ethnomusicology and the study of world cultures in the UK, at Russell Square in the heart of central London. What better chance to combine meeting an eclectic bunch of Yiddish enthusiasts with exploring one of Europe’s finest capital cities.
- Any questions? Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the JMI team for extra information about the course, accommodation advice or financial support.
Full rate £250
Student / Senior rate £175
Senior rate is set at 65+
10% if cancelled before 1 June.
25% if cancelled after 1 July.
50% if cancelled after 1 August.