- This event has passed.
Ot Azoy 2018
Sunday 19th August 2018 - Friday 24th August 2018£150 – £250
NOTE to registered applicants:
The first day Sunday 19th is a welcome day. This is for all the other schools combined. Yiddish, Yiddish Song and Klezmer. You are welcome to come and meet the students from the other schools but your formal teaching day starts on Monday 20th August.)
Registration: You must register on Sunday 19th August at SOAS Main building. WC1H 0XG
If you are an absolute beginner: Please register at 10.30am
If you put down that you are lower intermediate or intermediate level: Register before 11.30am
If you put down that you are higher intermediate or advanced: Register after 11.30 and before 12.30pm.
Discover JMI’s famous full immersion courses in Yiddish Language, Song and Culture for people of all ages, levels and backgrounds, where even complete beginners learn to speak, read, write, sing and even dream in Yiddish in a week.
Ot Azoy Yiddish language classes are held at 5 levels, and is directed by the head of Yiddish at UCL, Dr Khayele Beer with a faculty of world class Yiddish tutors and experts. As well as hands-on classroom teaching, it also features an extensive cultural programme of music, theatre, poetry and lectures from a world of Yiddish past and present. Shura Lipovsky, the outstanding Director of The Golden Peacock (Goldene Pave), will also teach a daily session of Yiddish through song.
Here are a few reasons why this promises to be a week not to be missed this summer:
- This is the only opportunity in the UK to immerse yourself in the deep and inspiring world of Yiddish culture for a whole week through language, literature, song and film with interesting and like-minded people of all ages and from all backgrounds.
- You will have the privilege of working with some of the UK and Europe’s top educators and performers. No matter what your level in Yiddish whether a beginner or a budding linguist, professional singer or amateur enthusiast, you will benefit from the width and breath of programmes on offer through the week, both day and night.
- The language and song schools run parallel during the week. Sessions for the week include reading, writing and speaking Yiddish, song master classes, concerts, film and discussion of the Yiddish scene in London and beyond.
- The programme is based at SOAS, the heart of Ethnomusicology and the study of world cultures in the UK, at Russell Square in the heart of central London. What better chance to combine meeting an eclectic bunch of Yiddish enthusiasts with exploring one of Europe’s finest capital cities.
- Any questions? Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the JMI team for extra information about the course, accommodation advice or financial support. We can offer our students a discount on housing with the University of London.
Full rate £250 (£225 if booked before 1st June 2018)
Student / Senior rate £175 (£150 if booked before 1st June 2018)
Senior rate is set at 65+
10% if cancelled before 1 June.
25% if cancelled after 1 July.
50% if cancelled after 1 August.
Sunday 19th August: 1030am-6pm
Monday 20th August: 9.30am-8pm
Tuesday 21st August: 9.30am-8pm
Wednesday 22nd August: 9.30am-8pm
Thursday 23rd August: 9.30am-10pm
Friday 24th August: 9.30am-5pm